Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blood


Blood (A Pseudo-epitaph for Arthur Greenberg.)
Blood all gone
Platelets dead
Blood like mine
I never asked
A creaky casket
Teak not mahogany
Is there a veneer on that?
Piles of dirt
Thudding secrecy
Nails biting wood
Keeping my curiosity out
Barring my identity
But there is safe passage
For the worms
A feast for annelids
As I walk starving
For ancient rituals.
An endless game of telephone
Generations long
Dashed upon the digital rocks
The pulp and bone of memories
Plucked up like carrion
By hungry gulls of change.
Would they be proud that I have broken
Free of traditional chains
Taking up the anvil
Forging for myself
Covered wagon fording the rapids
Leaving my origins for this
Fruitless trailblazing I insist is progress?
Kurt Vonnegut and Marine Park
Chain smoking and Brownsville bodegas
Buenos Aires and Patriarchy
Buried beneath
Earth packed like lasagna
Three-seventy-five
For forty minutes
And deaf to my burning questions
To my doubts
To my shame
Of never asking
After the recipe
Just devouring what was
Set before me
And leaving my plate crusted
Dried flecks of sauce
Like blood
That I neglected
To address.


1 comment:

Melissa said...

Just read this. Very poignant. So proud of you. Xoxo